Monday, January 23, 2012

SANTA'S FAVORITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES



To begin this post, I need to say, I am a sweet tea drinker so I'm pretty "sugared out" by dessert time.   As a result I don’t often indulge in what I bake.  So while I’ve probably made thousands of these cookies, I have only sampled a few since I first started making them years ago for my family. As time went on, invitations to pot luck's would be accompanied with requests to bring "Debbie's cookies".  After my children and their friends moved away, I started receiving requests for care packages filled with "Debbie's cookies".  I have even become known as "The Cookie Lady" at my dentist's office which says a lot in a generally sugar-free zone!  To be honest, how much people love these cookies never truly registered with me until a few years ago after returning home from a friend's beach house with her family.   My friend gently revealed to me how disappointed her adult son was when he asked her why I hadn't brought any of "Debbie’s cookies"!     Whether you make them for your family, friends or Santa – this easy recipe is sure to be a huge hit!

                                                             INGREDIENTS

                                      2 Cups Butter (I use Buttery Promise Margarine)
                                                               2 Cups Sugar
                                                     2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
                                                     4 Eggs (I use Extra Large)
                                                         2 Teaspoons Vanilla
                                                    2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
                                                      2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
                                                              1 Teaspoon Salt
                                                                4 Cups Flour
                                                       5 Cups Oatmeal (Instant)
                                 3 Bags (11.5 oz. per bag) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
                                      2 Bags (11.5 oz. per bag)) Milk Chocolate Chips

Makes approximately 70 cookies.

INSTRUCTIONS:

STEP 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, mix together ingredients below until smooth with electric mixer.

2 Cups Butter (I use Buttery Promise Margarine)
2 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
4 Eggs (I use Extra Large for moister cookies)
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt


STEP 2:  Add ingredients below to mixture from Step 1.  Mix flour and oatmeal gradually until evenly incorporated with electric mixer. 

4 Cups Flour - All-Purpose
5 Cups Oatmeal - Instant


STEP 3:  The best part!  Add chocolate chips!  I mix by hand, not electric mixer.  While my recommendations are below, you can add or subtract to taste, although I must say the chocolatier the better!!!

3 Bags (11.5 oz. per bag) Semi- Sweet Chocolate Chips
2 Bags (11.5 oz. per bag) Milk Chocolate Chips


HINT:  I've also made this cookie dough recipe solely with Butterscotch Chips or White Chocolate Chips!  There are countless variations (Mint Chocolate Chips, Reese's Peanut Butter Chips, Raisins, etc.) you can experiment with according to your taste!  Everyone has their favorite!

STEP 4 : Form dough into golf ball size and place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.   Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or when edges of cookies begin to brown. Then remove from oven.


HINT:  I use AirBake Cookie Sheets.  AirBake is made up of 2 aluminum sheets enclosing a layer of air.  It heats the dough evenly and the bottoms of the cookies do not burn.  The Large 14x16 square fits a Double Oven.  The Mega 15 1/2x20 rectangle fits an Oven Range but will not fit a Double Oven.  I learned that the hard way!!!  AirBake link provided below...

Airbake

STEP 5:  Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to foil.  If making a 2nd batch on same cookie sheet, wash cookie sheet clean in between baking batches.


HINT:  I usually make the dough in advance and freeze.  It is less messy to handle when it is time to bake and very convenient to have on hand in the freezer whenever needed.

Want more Christmas ideas?  Please click below...  
Christmas by Debbie

                                                          ~ Debbie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment